Man and teen charged over shooting of former NRL player Matt Utai

Man and teen charged over shooting

A man and a 15 year old boy have been charged in relation to the shooting of former NRL winger Matt Utai outside his Greenacre home in Sydney’s south west.

Police claim Utai was shot several times as he was leaving for work earlier this week.

NSW Police said emergency services were called to Macquarie Street around 6 AM on Tuesday after reports a man had been shot outside a house by people in an SUV, which then drove off.

The 44 year old was treated at the scene for several gunshot wounds before being transported to a hospital in a serious condition.

Shortly after, police were called to Samuel Street in Wiley Park where an SUV was discovered on fire and later seized.

Strike Force Halesowen, headed by the State Crime Command Raptor Squad is investigating the shooting in conjunction with a number of other incidents against the same family.

These include shots fired at a residence in St. Clair about 12:45 AM on Wednesday and a fire at a residence in Guildford West hours later.

A 25 year old man was arrested in Marsden Park and a 15 year old boy in Emerton on Friday night.

NSW Police said both men were charged with shooting with intent to murder and taking part in a criminal group, with the older man also charged with possessing a prohibited drug.

Both were refused bail and are expected to appear in court on Saturday. There are also claims of underworld tensions being linked to the violence.

Also Read: Measles alert for Sydney airport after exposure linked to multiple flights

Police believe that a dispute between a group known as the Coconut Cartel and the crime family may have led to the attack, being considered by investigators.

Detective Acting Superintendent Brad Abdy, of the Raptor Squad said there was also suspected international involvement in the recruitment of young offenders.

He said, “It’s quite disgusting that criminals who are overseas are now recruiting young people in Australia.”