We Cover the Latest News in Economy  Politics  States  Indigenous  Foreign affairs  Business  Defence  Immigration  Local news 

LATEST NEWS
TRENDING NEWS
FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Royal welcome for Andrew even while in custody

Royal welcome for Andrew even while in custody

King Charles received a warm welcome in central London on Thursday and went ahead with public duties just hours after police arrested his younger brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The King visited London Fashion Week at 180 Strand where he toured exhibitions and went to the opening show. Reports said people greeted him with cheers.

Thames Valley Police said it arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk at about 8am on February 19.

Police said it was searching addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk as part of an investigation into suspected misconduct in public office. Police said the man remained in custody and warned the case was active.

It urged care in reporting to avoid contempt of court. Sources identified the arrested man as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor who formerly known as Prince Andrew, who turned 66 on Thursday.

In a statement issued through Buckingham Palace, King Charles said he had learned with the deepest concern of the news and backed a full legal process.

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” he said. He added the family would provide full and wholehearted support and co-operation with investigators.

The investigation is focused on claims Andrew shared confidential information while serving in a UK trade role.

This includes allegations linked to his long scrutinised association with the late financier Jeffrey Epstein. Andrew has repeatedly denied wrongdoing connected to Epstein.

The arrest marks a new low in the former royal’s long fall from public life after years of controversy over his ties to Epstein and a civil settlement with Virginia Giuffre who accused him of sexual abuse which he denied.

MORE TOP HEADLINES
JUST IN
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU ​
Queensland records worst flu season

Queensland records worst flu season in more than a decade

Queensland has chalked up its heaviest influenza year in more than a decade, with health authorities warning the virus is still circulating well after the winter peak.

Health data to 14 December shows 95,520 laboratory confirmed flu cases in 2025, about 21% higher than the same point last year.

The department reported 289 flu related deaths over the same period and said 82% of confirmed cases were in people who were not vaccinated.

Spike has been matched by a strange late year tail, with case numbers again lifting early in December rather than fading away with warmer weather.

There were 1,690 cases in the week ending after 1,973 the previous week.

Summer surge adds pressure

Executive Director of Queensland Health’s Communicable Diseases Branch, Dr Heidi Carroll said in a statement, “While flu case numbers and hospitalization remain well below the winter peak the recent summertime increase in cases is unusual.”

The demand for hospitals remains a concern throughout the year.

Under surveillance reporting, there have been a total of 9,386 influenza cases admitted to public hospitals. Compared to 6,974 reported up to the corresponding point in 2024.

What the causes of the high incidence of 2025 were precisely is less certain.

Among the various reasons cited have been the effects of changes in virus strain, declining resistance following the disruption of several successive seasons, increased travel and lower vaccine response.

According to infectious diseases specialist Andrew Redmond, quoted to ABC News, there was suspicion of a fresh strain of the virus causing the outbreak which made the vaccine less effective against the virus.

This comes as families go back into the school season and workplaces come back to full speed.

Queensland Health encouraging Queenslanders to get vaccinated when eligible, stay home when sick and practice the essentials of handwashing and covering their coughs and sneezes.

INSIDE FIELD