Australia star admits we failed after T20 World Cup exit in a painful dressing room confession

Australia star admits we failed after T20 World Cup exit

Adam Zampa gave a blunt view of Australia’s T20 World Cup campaign saying the group felt it had failed even after finishing with a strong win over Oman.

Australia chased 105 in just 9.4 overs in Kandy on February 20, cruising to a nine wicket win to finish its tournament.

Zampa was player of the match after taking four for 21 as Oman were bowled out for 104 in 16.2 overs.

But Zampa said the result did not change the mood inside the camp. He said the change room was flat as the squad got ready to head home.

Adam Zampa, Australia spinner said that “It’s feeling pretty hollow, to be honest.”

Zampa also said the performance did not feel good because of the bigger picture. He called it the worst feeling four wicket haul he could remember.

Australia’s exit was locked in earlier in the week after losses to Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka. A washed out match elsewhere also meant there was no way to reach the Super Eight stage.

Captain Mitchell Marsh said the team saw it as a missed chance after building towards the tournament for two years. Mitchell Marsh, Australia captain said that “It’s a missed opportunity.”

The early exit has brought criticism at home about preparation and selection. Coach Andrew McDonald hit back at claims Australia did not take the tournament seriously.

Andrew McDonald, Australia coach said that “We’ve been fully locked into this World Cup for a period of time.”

Australia will now start an immediate review of what went wrong after a campaign that ended with a strong performance on the field but with little celebration in the sheds.