Pauline Hanson backtracks after saying there are no good Muslims

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson has backed away from comments suggesting there were no good Muslims.

She gave an apology with conditions after political leaders and community groups condemned her remarks.

The Queensland senator made the comments during a late night discussion on Monday about Australians linked to Islamic State including women and children in camps in Syria.

During the exchange, Hanson questioned whether good Muslims existed and said Islam was hostile to Westerners.

Hanson said she did not truly believe there were no good Muslims. She pointed to a non-practising Muslim woman who had previously stood as a One Nation candidate.

Hanson then apologised only to Muslims who she said did not support sharia law, polygamy or the return of ISIS brides. She also repeated broader claims about a world caliphate.

Hanson also raised national security concerns. She pointed to the number of people on Asio’s watchlist.

She said some Australians felt unwelcome in suburbs with large Muslim populations including Lakemba in Sydney’s west.

The Australian Human Rights Commission’s race discrimination commissioner, Giridharan Sivaraman called on Hanson to withdraw the remarks and apologise. He warned that language that stigmatises communities can deepen division and cause harm.

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke described Hanson’s comments as wrong and cruel. Nationals senator Matt Canavan said the remarks were divisive and un-Australian.

NSW Premier Chris Minns said Muslims were a valued part of the state’s future.

Canterbury Bankstown mayor Bilal El Hayek rejected Hanson’s claims about Lakemba. He invited her to visit during Ramadan. He said the area welcomed people of all backgrounds.

The dispute comes as One Nation is polling strongly ahead of an expected by-election in the federal seat of Farrer and the vote will test whether recent support translates into votes.