White House gunman killed by Secret Service was a repeat intruder who claimed to be Jesus

White House gunman killed by Secret Service

The suspect killed in a shooting involving Secret Service agents after he opened fire in the vicinity of a security checkpoint outside the White House is reported to be a 21 year old who has previously attempted entry into the presidential compound after claiming to be Jesus Christ.

The shooting occurred shortly after 6 pm local time on Saturday in the vicinity of the security checkpoint outside the White House perimeter in the capital city of Washington D.C.

According to officials, the suspect approached the checkpoint, took out his firearm from a bag, and fired shots at the officers guarding the security post.

The Secret Service agents returned fire and wounded him. He was rushed to George Washington University Hospital but succumbed to his injuries.

Another individual who received gunshots was found critically wounded, although it is not known whether the person was injured by the suspect or the Secret Service agents returning fire.

None of the Secret Service agents involved was reportedly injured in the incident. President Donald Trump was inside the White House and remained unharmed.

Court records indicate Best had multiple encounters with the Secret Service.

He was known to officers for walking around the complex and asking how to gain access at various entry posts, a court affidavit says.

Last June he was civilly committed to a psychiatric hospital for blocking the entrance to a vehicle.

The next month he was arrested after walking through a restricted pedestrian checkpoint, ignoring officers orders and saying he wanted to be arrested. The filing says he said he was Jesus Christ during that incident.

Subsequently, a restraining order was issued, preventing him from coming close to the premises of the White House.

A bench warrant was also issued against him in August because he did not show up in the hearing. The authorities referred to him as a mentally disturbed individual.

Some of his accounts in social media contained one of his posts that threatened violent acts against the sitting president, while another one of his posts stated that he was the son of God.

The shooting prompted a lockdown at the White House, where the journalists had to take cover while the police attended to the scene.

The lockdown ended only when his body was recovered, confirming his death.

In a post published on Truth Social on the morning of Sunday, President Trump thanked the law enforcement agency and stressed that the shooting incident made clear how necessary it was for future presidents to have a safe environment in Washington DC.